Certified & Licensed Home Inspectors for your Residential Properties & Commercial Buildings

Lead paint is still present in millions of homes,


sometimes in older toys, art supplies or on walls, under layers of newer paint.


Lead from paint, including lead-contaminated dust,

is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.


As long as the newer paint is in good shape, the lead paint underneath is usually not a problem.

BUT if you see any of these in your home there could be lead paint posing a danger to your family and pets.

  • Peeling
  • Chipping
  • Paint dust or chalking
  • Cracking
  • Damp areas


If your home was built before 1978

Testing a wall for lead paint.


There is a good chance it has lead-based paint. In 1978, the federal government banned consumer uses of paint containing lead, but some states banned it even earlier.


Why is it so dangerous?

Lead poisoning can cause severe mental and physical impairment.

It can be treated, but any damage caused cannot be reversed.

Most of the time, lead poisoning builds up slowly. It follows repeated exposures to small quantities of lead. Lead toxicity is rare after a single exposure or ingestion of lead.

Symptoms of lead poisoning vary and can affect many parts of the body.

Lead poisoning can lead to intellectual disability, so young children are most vulnerable because a child’s brain is still developing.

Long-term effects may include:

  • Growth delays
  • Problems with hearing
  • Behavior problems
  • Short- and long-term learning difficulties

Where could lead paint be lurking in your home?

  • House paint made before 1978
  • Toys and household items painted before 1976
  • Toys made and painted outside the United States
  • Chipping house paint
  • Paint sets and art supplies
  • Jewelry, pottery, and lead figures

What can you do to protect your family from all sources of lead?

These simple steps can help you prevent lead poisoning:


  • Avoid or throw away painted toys from foreign countries
  • Wash children’s toys and bottles regularly
  • If you find lead paint in your home it is a good idea to ask your doctor about testing everyone in your home, especially children, for lead


  • Keep your home free from dust
  • Regularly clean floors, windowsills, and other surfaces


  • Make sure any contractor doing work in your house is certified in lead control
  • Use lead-free paint in your home
  • Fix surfaces with peeling or chipping paint
  • If you are doing the repairs and painting, avoid exposure to lead dust by wearing a respiratory mask

Most importantly:

  • Don’t try to remove lead paint yourself!
  • Have a professional test for the presence of lead paint
  • Seek medical attention if you think you or someone in your family has been exposed to lead paint


Call Timberline! We can do lead testing to see if there is any present.