When Should I Get a Mold Test?
This is a common question that has a pretty simple answer.
If you see mold, just remove it!
The mold test is only going to confirm that mold is there and determine what it is. There is no sense in paying us for a mold test and then paying a contractor to remove it. Once you’ve seen it, knowing what type of mold can be pointless if it’s severe, since it all has to be removed. However, if it’s minor, the mold test can let you as the homeowner know if it is a job worth tackling yourself or will require a professional remediation service. Toxic or not, it is still an allergen, a health concern and can be damaging. If this is the case, you will benefit from a moisture intrusion inspection to determine the cause of the mold and ensure it doesn’t come back.
- IF YOU SMELL MOLD, YOU HAVE IT, BUT A TEST SHOULD BE PERFORMED TO SEE WHAT KIND AND WHERE IT’S COMING FROM. THIS IS TO SEE IF IT’S ABNORMAL OR IF THE BASEMENT JUST NEEDS A DEHUMIDIFIER.
- WATER DAMAGE TO THE INTERIOR OF ANY BUILDING, EITHER THROUGH A ROOF LEAK OR PLUMBING ACCIDENT, GET IT TESTED.
CAN’T I JUST BUY A MOLD TEST KIT?
The short the answer here is definitely NO!
They are extremely disadvantageous and potentially dangerous:
- Home tests are misleading and simply wrong!
- if you know what kind of samples to collect?
- What method do you need to collect them with?
- How much mold should be in the air samples taken?
Does the hardware store test kit come
with an inspector trained in moisture intrusion,building science and mold remediation? Ours does! Knowing where to look for more mold is every bit as important as collecting the mold you’ve seen.
- You may not see it or even smell it, identifying and removing the mold is only half the battle, we will find the source of the mold so it doesn’t come back.
- Every home has some mold! Your mold test will come back positive and you may be paying for repairs you don’t need.
MOLD TESTS AREN’T CHEAP!
Lab fees alone are a turn-off to a lot of people. However, the benefit you will gain is worth every penny. Early warning can save tens of thousands of dollars on structural damage and health issues when mold testing is done.
If you suspect there’s a need for mold remediation and testing in your home or place of business, give us a call at Timberline Inspections. (205) 545-2050
Timberline Inspections is a veteran owned and operated local company serving all of central Alabama. Our team is here to help provide peace of mind to homeowners and property managers with our mold inspection service. Since we don’t actually do remediation work, you can trust us for an unbiased assessment of the situation. We only report what we find and we’re certified by InterNACHI to perform these tests.
Give us a call today to schedule your mold inspection – (205) 545-2050